Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Scorpion Collection


Let me start by saying I HATE scorpions. I don't care if they were here first, I hate them, I want them all gone. I will squeeze them with my hands if I have to keep them away from my house and my kids. This week I have had to pretty much do just about that. In 3 years here we have seen a number of these disgusting creatures. Usually they are dead in the garage, in the street, or on sidewalks, we have NEVER seen one alive in our house....until today. I have our house sprayed inside and out every 4 weeks. My exterminator is coming in about 15 minutes for a scheduled service, looks like I could have used him early this month. When it starts to get hot in AZ the scorpions start looking for cool dark places. Well, for those of you who haven't seen it on the news, it is 110 degrees at my house right now, it was 85 last week, so this was a huge jump. My house is a cool 79 degrees and has all the shades drawn in order to keep it cooler. I guess it is a scorpions dream hide out right now. Let me show you my new friends.....
This was a tricky one to get rid of. When Nate was in Florida he spent the entire day in my courtyard up on the wall in front of my door. He was there for at least 8 hours until I went to my neighbors house and borrowed her butane gun they use to kill weeds. With Nate gone, and her husband on shift we had to get creative. We got a ladder and sprayed fire on him over our heads until he fell to the ground. Somehow he was still squirming so he got a little butane fire shower. This is a CRAZY state we live in!
This creepy critter was on my garage floor a couple days ago just waiting for Gianna's bare feet to step on him when she was crawling out of the car after swim lessons. When he started to move I saw him and quickly squished him with my flip flops.

This is the one I just found running in the hallway in between our playroom and Gianna's bedroom. She was sleeping and I was so afraid that it was going to run under her door where it was dark and I wouldn't be able to find him on our scorpion colored carpet. I chased him with a can of hairspray and then smashed him with my shoe. I hope my collection never gets any bigger and when the exterminator gets here he will take these little souvenirs with him.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh my gosh Liz that is soooooo gross! Remind me never to come visit during the summer...