Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Healthy at Last!

Sorry, no pictures, but I thought I'd give a quick update. Over the past 4 weeks both of the girls have had Hand, Foot and Mouth disease (nasty virus.) K had it pretty severe and didn't eat or drink for several days, she had to have water from a medicine dropper around the clock just to stay hydrated. Gianna had blisters on her face and mouth, but the worst part for poor G was that we didn't know she also had a horrible ear infection that was not getting better. She just got on antibiotics yesterday, and after three weeks of her being pretty crabby she is in a great mood today. Between the two of them we were quarantined for just over 2 weeks.

During all of this we found out that Kailey need to be sedated for some dental work, but couldn't have it done until her mouth cleared up. Meanwhile while throwing a temper tantrum (probably because of her ear) Gianna fell and knocked her front tooth so bad that the pediatrician told us she might choke on it and we might need to have emergency dental work and probably pull her front top tooth. Her mouth was bleeding too much from her virus blisters and the dentist couldn't even see what was going on. We go tomorrow for a check up on her tooth, but I think the bump on her head ended up being the worst part. Her tooth luckily looks just fine to me.

Saturday Nate and I decided the kids were so much better that we should go out to dinner. We even lined up a babysitter. Thirty minutes before she arrived, I had to call and cancel. Nate was not feeling well and ended up in the ER overnight. It's a long story and he is fine, but still another crazy illness for us to deal with all night!

So I think the saga ends today. Kailey went in for her dental work and Nate went with her. She took her medicine and seemed totally out of it. They took her back for the work and were done in about 20 minutes. The hygienists walked out and told Nate she was a pistol. When the doctor walked her out holding her hand, she was screaming, "Daddy," and ran over to him. The doctor told Nate that Kailey shouldn't remember a thing, but that he will never forget Kailey. She was full of so much "spunk" he was shocked, Nate and I weren't shocked at all!

The best part of this entire experience is after two and a half years of taking pacifiers with me in my purse, my car, my pocket and leaving them all over her bed at night, Kailey decided that the Paci's gave her the "ouchies" in her mouth and now all paci's must be thrown away. I don't want to say it was worth it, because of course I hate for them to ever be sick, but WOW, this life without pacifiers is pretty great. Even more amazing K has decided to use sentences much for often now that her mouth space is freed up a little.

We are now packing for a pacifier and sickness free VACATION! We are heading to California. The next time I log on there should be pictures of the girls with Mickey Mouse!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I had no idea how much you all have been going through. I'm glad to hear everyone is healthy and ready to see Mickey. I'm extremely envious, since that is one of my favorite places :-) We'll be looking forward to the pictures!
Kim

Larissa said...

i'm sooo happy for you that everyone is finally back to better!!! what a crazy few weeks it must have been at your house!!!